Wednesday 28 May 2014

Have a good day

 I've had some good days, and this must be the place to record them...

Last weekend we had friends round for the morning. It was a beautiful day and having friends visit makes our home feel more like our home. I managed things that I have sometimes found impossible, getting lunch calmly and on time, putting toys out for the kids and making a bit of conversation. All at the same time. 


In the afternoon I found myself on the sofa in the sun, and Reuben found me there too. We snuggled down together, heads on cushions and the hot sun flooding across our bodies. We watched the blue sky, trees and dappled sunlight and gave each other regular squeezes. I do believe that is the day I truly fell in love with my house. 

Later we turned a boring trip to the mall in to an exciting one; by catching the train there. The kids loved it and actually I enjoyed the change of scenery and interaction with people along the way. It was even complete with a manic rush for the late train at the end of the day. Oops. 

I had another beautiful morning recently when I was child-free and took myself in to town to visit a bookshop. It was hard to make myself get out, strangely, the oppression of housework, and organising a new house, can really take over. But once I got the car out of the driveway and turned on to the road all of me breathed a big sigh of relief. A couple of hours in town and in a bookshop is good for the soul. And yes Kent, I'm sorry, I bought another recipe book ("maybe you should be cooking more from the recipe books we have rather than buying more?"). But I think it was in lieu of the Mothers' Day books you are no longer able to buy me. And the chocolate fondant cakes are amazing.














4 comments:

  1. That quote is beautiful. I am glad you look for, and see, the beauty in these moments with your children. I am glad, too, that you indulge your cookbook addiction. What did you buy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I should have said. It is Paris Pastry Club by Fanny Zanotti. Beautiful. The last recipe book I bought has a lot of baking with different grains and sugar alternatives, but this one I have no excuse for, except it fits my very secret desire to learn more about cooking international foods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You fell in love with your house! Woo hoo!

    And xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel Broadbent29 May 2014 at 13:09

    Lovely heart-warming post

    ReplyDelete